12 Days of Giving (Day 9)
Do you recognize protecting young girls is connected to clean water access?
Day 9: On the ninth Day of Giving I chose to recognize these important water facts and their meaning.
- Once women reach a water source, they often face conflict at water points and the risk of physical or sexual assault.
- Women and children are disproportionately affected by water scarcity and the change of water predictability.
- Over half of the developing world’s primary schools don’t have access to water and sanitation facilities. Without toilets, girls often drop out at puberty.
- The average container for water collection in Africa, the jerry can, weighs over 40 lbs when full.
- Promoting good hygiene is one of the most cost-effective health interventions.
- Diarrhea caused by dirty water and poor toilets kills a child under 5 every 2 minutes.
- If everyone, everywhere had clean water, the number of diarrheal deaths would be cut by a third.
- 443 million school days are lost each year due to water-related diseases.
- Half of the world’s hospital beds are filled with people suffering from a water-related disease.
- Girls under the age of 15 are twice as likely as boys to be the family member responsible for fetching water.
- Research has shown that for every 10% increase in women’s literacy, a country’s whole economy can grow by up to 0.3%.
https://www.justoneafrica.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/just-one-africa-friends.jpg 1333 2000 Clay Churchill https://www.justoneafrica.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/just-one-africa-logo.png Clay Churchill2020-12-24 12:46:242020-12-24 12:46:3812 Days of Giving (Day 11) https://www.justoneafrica.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/water-changes-everything-mobile.jpg 667 1000 Clay Churchill https://www.justoneafrica.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/just-one-africa-logo.png Clay Churchill2020-12-23 10:39:592020-12-24 10:53:3512 Days of Giving (Day 10) https://www.justoneafrica.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/clean-water-saves-girls-lives.jpg 1336 2000 Clay Churchill https://www.justoneafrica.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/just-one-africa-logo.png Clay Churchill2020-12-22 09:46:272020-12-22 14:37:1012 Days of Giving (Day 9)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!